Monday, July 6, 2009

Otherwise

Ah, our jobs would be so much easier if grades were not tied to actual student performance.
Professor [name]
I took your [general eduction] class this semester on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays at 2:30. I had a lot of family problems during the beginning of the semester which prevented me from doing as well as I intended. I'm currently trying to get into the college of business, but to do so, I need a 3.6 gpa this semsester. My grades were a lot better during the second half of the semester and I think I did well on the final. I came to your office hours and my grades for [related classes that I took in high school] were all A's. Is there anyway that you can raise my grade to an A so I can pursue my major? Otherwise my parents are making me transfer to a school closer to home. I appreciate your time in reading this e-mail.

Thank you very much

When a student next asks me to increase their grade for no reason, I intend to steal this professor's reply:
[name]:

My job is pretty simple. I give tests, I grade tests, and I give people the grade they earn. While your story is intriguing, nothing in it justifies my changing your grade from one that you deserve to one that you do not. To do so would be unfair to every student whose grade you "leapfrogged." So, I'm sorry, but the answer is no.

Prof. [name]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Student,

I taught your [general education] class this semester on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays at 2:30. I had quite a few attention problems at the beginning of the semester that prevented my class from doing as well as I had hoped. Even though I taught pretty well, these attention and diligence issues (and subsequent low grades) really hurt my student evaluations. I'm currently trying to get tenure, but to do so, I need a 3.6 average on my student evaluations this semester. I had good evaluations when I taught this course 3 years ago. Is there any way you could learn the material and then increase my evaluations so that I can pursue my career? Otherwise I might lose my job and have to move in with my parents.

Thank you very much.