Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chick-fil-a

Here's an email that has been making the rounds in academic circles.
I don't know if it's true or not... but if so this is the best excuse for missing a final exam that I have ever heard.
Professor [name],

I am in your MWF 8:00 a.m. [class] and I was wondering if there is any possible way I could take the exam on Monday, Tuesday, afternoon/late Thursday, or Friday? I know this is late notice, but something has come up that would, if I could go, require me to leave very early Wednesday morning and not arrive back in [our town] until Thursday morning. I would like to attend the Chick-fil-A opening in [city 2 hours away]. If you are one of the first one hundred people to arrive at a Chick-fil-A opening, you recieve free Chick-fil-A for a whole year. Because [our school] has a Chick-fil-A on campus, I would then be able to get a smaller meal plan and consequently save some money. This event is so popular that most of the 100 arrive very early in the morning the day before the opening and camp out the night before. Some even arrive days before the opening. To contend with the other potential first 100 arrivals, my ride would like to leave a great deal before my exam 8:00-10:00 a.m. on Wednesday. I know this may seem like an unusual request, but I would greatly appreciate anything you could do.

Thanks!
[student name]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would have been a tough call for me back in my meat eating days. Chik-fil-a is soooooooooooooooo good!!!
I mean seriously, if I ever went back to meat that would be the second thing I ate, bacon would be first.
As a professor how does one handle a request of such importance and magnitude? Man, answering that request would take serious fortitude. If you say no, you deny someone a dream of a year of FREE chik fil a, but if you say yes, you start a dangerous precendent.
hmm...what to do what to do

tnt

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating! Delighted to see you back.

Anonymous said...

Man, if I were in the position to grant that request, I probably would. I mean, it's heartfelt and honest--none of this "dying grandmother" stuff. And if the student was successful in getting free food, I'd hope he or she shared it with me!